Sweet Date Macaroons
Just so there is no confusion, lets start this post with the difference between a Macaroon and a Macaron:
Macaroon: made of coconut, mostly eaten during Passover.
Macaron: (pronounced like macaroni without the ‘i’) a french sandwich cookie made of almond flour, egg whites, and sugar. See my last post.
So this week I made macaroons for Passover with my friend Zoe. This is a recipe that my family has been making for a long time, and continues to make because they are so good! We had so much fun baking them, and I got a chance to use my new KitchenAid stand mixer!
These macaroons are very sweet and have chopped dates and walnuts in them. Enjoy!
Sweet Date Macaroons (makes about 12 cookies)
- 1 cup coconut
- 1/2 cup dates (diced)
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts (I used walnuts)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- Combine coconut, dates, chopped nuts, and sugar.
- Combine salt, egg, and vanilla in a separate bowl.
- Add egg mixture to coconut mixture until combined.
- Let mix stand 5 minutes.
- Drop onto greased (use Pam, not butter) baking sheet.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.
- Let macaroons cool for at least 15 minutes before removing from baking sheet.