21st Birthday Sprinkles Cake
After a very busy summer working and taking classes, I am finally back with a cake covered in sprinkles. Every year I bake something different for my friend Hillary’s birthday, and this year was her 21st, so I had to make something special.
This cake is a homemade 4 layer “funfetti” vanilla sprinkle cake filled with buttercream icing. The cake is also frosted with buttercream icing, covered in rainbow sprinkles, and topped with a happy birthday banner made from wooden skewers, bakers twine, and printed flags.
Layered Sprinkles Cake (makes four 7 inch round cakes)
- 2 cups sugar
- 8 large eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups vegetable oil
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 4 cups flour
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tub Wilton buttercream frosting
- 3 lbs rainbow sprinkles
- 2 cake boards (7 inch radius)
- 1 cake board (10 inch radius)
- 5 wooden skewers
- paper flags
- bakers twine
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit. Grease four 7 inch round cake pans with cooking spray.
- Beat sugar and eggs for about 2 minutes until lightened.
- Next add milk, vegetable oil, and vanilla to egg mixture and blend on low speed.
- In a separate bowl combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Mix to distribute baking powder and salt.
- Now add flour mixture to wet ingredients. Combine on low speed.
- Once combined, scrape down edges of bowl.
- Mix at medium speed for 1-2 minutes.
- Now add about 1 cup (more or less) of sprinkles to the cake batter and gently fold in with a spoon.
- Pour batter evenly into all four pans.
- Place cake pans on center rack in the oven and bake for 35-45 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cakes cool in pan for 10 minutes, then flip cake upside-down to remove.
- Cut off domed top to make each layer as flat as possible.
- Place first layer onto one of the 7 inch cake boards.
- Frost the top of the layer.
- Place the next layer on top of the frosted first layer.
- Repeat steps 14 and 15 until you have 4 layers.
- Once your layers are stacked, place 3 wooden skewers into the cake for support in a triangular shape.
- Next, Frost the sides of the cake (do not frost the top).
- Once the sides are frosted, place the second 7 inch cake board on top of the cake.
- Place cake into the freezer for 5 minutes.
- While the cake is in the freezer, take a cookie sheet or breakfast tray and pour the sprinkles into tray.
- Remove cake from the freezer and roll the edges of the cake in the sprinkles.
- One all the sides are covered in sprinkles, place a bowl on the cookie sheet and place the cake on top of the bowl.
- With the cake sitting on the bowl, frost the top of the cake and then take a spoon and spread sprinkles over the top of the cake.
- When the cake is covered in sprinkles, transfer cake to 10 inch cake board and pipe a border of your choice around the bottom of the cake. I used a medium sized round tip.
- Lastly, prepare the birthday banner by printing some flags and taping them onto a piece of bakers twine. Tie each end of the bakers twine to a wooden skewer and place the skewers into the cake.