Peanut M&M Birthday Cake
My dad’s birthday was this past Friday, so I decided to incorporate his favorite chocolate candies, Peanut M&Ms, into his birthday cake. This was the first of two cakes I made this week (the other for my grandmother’s 95th birthday), so I prepared the cake ahead of time, froze it, and then assembled the cake the day of. I also made a simple syrup for the first time to keep the cake moist. I’m not sure how well it worked, but the cake tasted great, so I guess I can say it was a success!
This cake is a 4 layer chocolate cake filled with peanut butter buttercream frosting. The cake is then covered with a different recipe of peanut butter frosting, and decorated with Peanut M&Ms. I wouldn’t recommend either of the frosting recipes I used. Although they both tasted fine, they were very thick and did not stick to the cake well.
4 layer Peanut M&M Cake
- 4 flat layers of prepared chocolate cake (any recipe or boxed cake)
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 4 cups confectioners sugar
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp vanilla
- pinch of salt
- 1 carton buttercream icing (store bought)
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 party size Peanut M&Ms bag
- 1/2 cup sugar
Prepare frosting for filling:
- Mix full can of store bought with 1/2 cup peanut butter.
Prepare frosting for outside of cake:
- In stand mixer with the paddle attachment, whip the butter and peanut butter together until very smooth.
- Slowly add half the icing sugar until fully incorporated.
- Add half of the cream and blend.
- Add the remaining icing sugar until combined.
- Finish with the remaining cream, vanilla, and a pinch of salt, blending fully.
- If frosting is not desired consistency add more sugar or add more cream (or milk).
Prepare simple syrup:
- Mix 1/2 cup sugar with 1 cup water in a sauce pan.
- Bring to a boil, and allow to boil for approximately 3 minutes.
- Let cool.
- Use funnel to pour simple syrup into a spray bottle.
To assemble cake:
- Place small dollop of frosting on the center of the cake board to keep the cake in place.
- Place first layer of cake onto the cake board.
- Next, take a straw and poke several holes in the layer.
- Spritz cake several times with simple syrup, but be careful not to overdo it.
- Frost top of layer with peanut butter filling frosting (the store bought mixture).
- Next, crush some Peanut M&Ms and sprinkle over the frosted layer.
- Place second layer on top of the first layer, and repeat steps 3-6.
- Do the same for the third layer of cake as well.
- Lastly, place the fourth layer of cake on top of the third.
- Next cut a straw or support to be the height of the cake and place through the center of all four layers.
- Now take the peanut butter frosting you made for the outside of the cake (the recipe made from scratch) and ice the cake until covered and smooth.
- Decorate the cake with Peanut M&Ms however you desire.
- Keep the cake refrigerated, and wrap in wax paper if you would like to make sure the M&Ms are secure and will not fall out before you serve the cake!
Happy Birthday Dad!