Cupcakes in a Jar
Even though the temperature has been below 50 degrees, it’s spring–so I thought that I would make a dessert that was a spring color. These cupcakes in a jar are just as easy as making regular cupcakes, and they make a really cute gift if you attach a spoon with ribbon. Also I made these at home, so the fact that they are portable made it easy for me to bring them up to school for my friends!
These are pink vanilla cupcakes filled with almond buttercream frosting.
Cupcakes in a Jar
- 12 half-pint ball jars
- Piping bag and 1M tip
- Pink Wilton gel food coloring
- Pink sprinkles (optional)
Cupcake Ingredients (makes 24):
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup butter (2 sticks)
- 4 eggs
- 1 tbsp and 1 tsp clear vanilla extract
- 3 cups flour
- 1 tbsp and 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup milk
Almond Buttercream Ingredients:
- 3 sticks butter
- 4 1/2 cups confectioners sugar
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 3 tbsp heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit.
- In large bowl, beat sugar and butter until creamed, then add vanilla.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time.
- In a separate bowl combine flour and baking powder.
- Slowly add flour mixture to wet ingredients until combined.
- Add milk and beat on low until batter is smooth.
- Next, add the pink food coloring and beat until color is distributed.
- Scoop batter into lined cupcake tray
- Bake for 20 minutes (watch the cupcakes to make sure they do not start to turn brown!) Cupcakes are done when toothpick comes out clean.
Almond Buttercream Directions:
- On medium/high speed, whip butter for about 8 minutes.
- Add confectioners sugar, almond extract, and heavy cream. Stir to combine.
- Once combine, beat for 6 minutes on medium speed.
- Transfer mixture to piping bag with a 1M tip.
Cupcakes in a Jar Assembly:
- Remove all cupcake liners.
- Take one cupcake and cut off the top.
- Place cupcake-bottom into the ball jar.
- Pipe a swirl of frosting on top of the cupcake-bottom.
- Take another cupcake, cut off the bottom.
- Place cupcake-top into the ball jar.
- Pipe a swirl of frosting on top of the cupcake-top.
- Sprinkle with pink sprinkles and close the jar!
Optional Cap Labels:
- Print 2 inch labels. This is the sheet I used.
- Cut and apply to the caps of the ball jar with glue stick or double sided tape.