Valentine’s: Mini Message Cookies
These were a cute spin off the traditional conversation hearts. They are just a basic sugar cookie with royal icing. I packaged these up into small bags and handed these out, along with the truffles, to all my friends on Valentine’s Day. This dough is so easy to make, and everyone loved the taste, so it’s definitely a recipe to keep for next time!
Valentine’s Day Sugar Cookies
- 3 c unbleached, all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 c sugar (I use sugar that I’ve stored vanilla beans in)
- 2 sticks (salted) butter, cold & cut into chunks
- 1 egg
- 3/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp pure almond extract
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Combine the flour and baking powder, set aside. Cream the sugar and butter. Add the egg and extracts and mix. Gradually add the flour mixture and beat just until combined, scraping down the bowl, especially the bottom.
- The dough will be crumbly, so knead it together with your hands as you scoop it out of the bowl for rolling
- Roll on a floured surface to about 1/4″ to 3/8″ thick, and cut into shapes. Place on parchment lined baking sheets (I recommend freezing the cut out shape on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before baking) and bake for 10-12 minutes. Let sit a few minutes on the sheet, then transfer to a cooling rack.
Recipe from Bake At 350
For the Royal Icing, I used Wilton’s Royal Icing Mix and a couple piping bags to decorate.