Chocolate Mocha Cupcakes
Another great recipe from a recipe book I love called Cupcakes by Susannah Blake. The recipe is slightly modified because I felt like making them a little fancier, but the cupcake batter and frosting is straight from the book.
My version of Susannah Blake’s Mocha Cupcakes is a chocolate mocha cupcake, filled with chocolate ganache, topped with coffee buttercream, ground espresso, and mini chocolate chips.
Chocolate Mocha Cupcakes (Makes 12)
- 100g dark chocolate, chopped
- 150g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 150g caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 100g self-raising flour
- 2 tsp instant coffee, dissolved in 1 tbsp boiling water
- 40g chocolate-covered coffee beans
- 100g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 200g icing sugar, sifted
- 2 tsp in instant coffee, dissolved in 1 tbsp boiling water
Chocolate Ganache Ingredients:
- 4 oz. semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 Tbsp butter
- Ground Espresso
- Mini Chocolate Chips
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Put the chocolate in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of gently simmering water. Do not let the bowl touch the water. Leave until almost melted, then set aside to cool slightly.
- Beat the butter and sugar together in a bowl until pale and fluffy, then beat in the eggs, one at a time. Stir in the melted chocolate and cocoa powder. Sift the flour into the mixture and stir in, then stir in the coffee, followed by the coffee beans.
- Spoon the mixture into the paper cases and bake in the preheated oven for about 20 minutes until risen and a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- For frosting, beat the butter, sugar and coffee together in a bowl until pale and fluffy. Transfer frosting to piping bag with Wilton’s 1A tip.
- For ganache, melt chocolate chips, heavy cream, and butter in a saucepan until combined. Let cool and transfer to Ziploc bag.
- Scoop out centers of cupcakes, fill with ganache.
- Pipe large swirls of frosting onto each cupcake.
- Sprinkle with ground espresso and mini chocolate chips.