Strawberry Cupcakes with Strawberry Frosting (Half-Disaster)
These cupcakes were a half-disaster. I say half because these are the BEST tasting cupcakes you will ever taste. It’s probably because this recipe is from my favorite cupcake bakery, Sprinkles, and they are made with high quality ingredients. I do have to mention that even though these cupcakes tasted amazing, they looked absolutely terrible. The frosting was unfrostable, if thats a word. Something must have went wrong, because the frosting they sell on their cupcakes at the store does not look anything like this!
This recipe is pretty complex, so next time I would probably just buy their pre-packaged cupcake mixes that you can buy online or at William Sonoma. If you do want to make them from scratch, here is the recipe. Remember, they still taste good!
Sprinkles Strawberry Cupcakes (Makes 12)
- 2/3 cup fresh or frozen whole strawberries (thawed if frozen)
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour , sifted
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. coarse salt
- 1/4 cup whole milk , room temperature
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter , room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg , room temperature
- 2 large egg whites , room temperature
- 1/2 cup whole frozen strawberries, thawed
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, firm and slightly cold
- Pinch of coarse salt
- 3 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with cupcake liners; set aside.
- Place strawberries in a small food processor; process until pureed. You should have about 1/3 cup of puree. Add a few more strawberries if necessary, or save any extra puree for frosting; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt; set aside. In a small bowl, mix together milk, vanilla and strawberry puree; set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter on medium-high speed, until light and fluffy. Gradually add sugar and continue to beat until well combined and fluffy. Reduce the mixer speed to medium and slowly add egg and egg whites until just blended.
- With the mixer on low, slowly add half the flour mixture; mix until just blended. Add the milk mixture; mix until just blended. Slowly add remaining flour mixture, scraping down sides of the bowl with a spatula, as necessary, until just blended.
- Divide batter evenly among prepared muffin cups. Transfer muffin tin to oven and bake until tops are just dry to the touch, 22 to 25 minutes. Transfer muffin tin to a wire rack and let cupcakes cool completely in tin before icing.
- Place strawberries in the bowl of a small food processor; process until pureed.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat together butter and salt on medium speed until light and fluffy. Reduce mixer speed and slowly add confectioners’ sugar; beat until well combined.
- Add vanilla and 3 tablespoons strawberry puree (save any remaining strawberry puree for another use); mix until just blended. Do not overmix or frosting will incorporate too much air. Frosting consistency should be dense and creamy, like ice cream.