Decorating with Fondant
So this cake was my first time decorating with fondant, and it went ok. I couldn’t really figure out how to get the edges and corners to be squared off, so I will have to do some research and try again.
What I used:
- 1 Red Velvet Boxed Cake Mix
- Wilton White Ready-To-Use Decorator Icing
- Ready-To-Use White Rolled Fondant
- Ready-To-Use Variety Pack Rolled Fondant (3 colors)
- Wilton Fondant Shape Cutters
- Wilton Fondant Cutter/Embosser
- Divide cake batter evenly into 3 identical pans and bake.
- Once cakes are cooled, cut off the part of the cake that rose in the oven, making sure that each cake layer is flat and even.
- Frost the top of the first layer.
- Stack the next layer on top of the first layer, and frost the top of the second layer.
- Stack the third layer and frost the rest of the cake with a very thin layer of frosting.
- Roll out the fondant on a surface dusted with powdered sugar (make sure you roll out the fondant so it is large enough to cover the whole cake, I took measurements).
- Once fondant is rolled out, roll the fondant back onto the rolling pin.
- Transfer the fondant onto the cake from the rolling pin.
- Smooth the fondant onto the cake (A Wilton Easy-Glide fondant smoother helps, but I did not have one making this cake).
- Cut off excess fondant using a knife or Wilton Fondant Cutter.
- Roll out the colored fondant.
- Use shaped cutters or roll fondant into stripes or balls and decorate as desired.